RETURN HOME TO OLD OAK OF MAMRE

24.1.12

Thoughts of Unschooling with Charlotte Mason

Lately, I have thoughts and a desire to Unschooled my daughter but with a Charlotte Mason twist.  It is so wonderful to homeschool because each child's education can be custom made for each of their minds.  Whereas my daughter's mind is so much like a sponge that it has an amazing ability to retain what it learns.  However, she doesn't like to write and so many homeschool curriculums make a child do just as much writing as learning and it really starting to effect her learning because she dreads the writing.   Now, I have all intentions to make sure not only does my daughter learn to write but also learn to cursive write, which many public school are no longer teaching.  However, I do not want the constant writing to impede her education. 

Thus, my daughter's love of learning has waned of late and I would like to give it a big boost, perhaps by unschooling.  I am fond of the idea but nervous for I grew up in a public schooling system and it's hard to get that out of your character.  I was taught something and then quizzed on it and then tested on it.  The homework alone was overbearing for me.  I did though love to learn and still do very much for you can pretty much find me on the internet always researching something.  I want that love to learn for my daughter.

I think we will finish the curriculum we have now and try some Unschooling, for a while, over the Summer months.  I will know then on how she responses to it.

I love her so much and I want her to know so much, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment